Tanqueray was first made by Charles Tanqueray in London beginning in 1830. Eventually, WWII destroyed most of the distillery and its remnant were relocated to Scotland, where it is made today. Tanqueray was one of the first distilleries to use double-distillation methods (later, triple-distillation and today quadruple-distilled) as well as being one of the very first "premium" gins on the market. Charles Tanqueray was preceded by Alexander Gordon and his Gordon's gin from as far back as 1769 and a warrant from King George himself in 1925. The two companies were combined to Tanqueray Gordon & Company in 1898.
Tanqueray Rangpur gin is flavored with the rangpur fruit, often confused for a lime, and launched in 2006 to a tremendous marketing campaign. The rangpur is a hybrid fruit between a mandarin orange and a lemon (somehow yielding a lime flavor).